Monday, June 29, 2009

My Favourite Poet

My favourite poet is likely to be Emily Dickinson as her poems are very touching and also very memorable.Emily Dickinson's poems were depicting her whole life.Unexpectedly, Emily Dickinson life wasn't the same as normal poets.Imagine William Sheakespeare,Elizabeth Bishop and William Wordsworth all in front of you, their lifes are playing ahead of your eyes like a video.Emily Dickinson's lifes were filled with loneliness and isolation.In her whole life, she seldom left her house and visitors were scarce. The people with whom she did come in contact, however, have an huge impact on her thinking and poetry.Emily Dickinson was also homesick which was why she stayed at home all the time and did not interact with the world.In the 1860s, Dickinson lived in almost total physical isolation from the outside world.Dickinson’s younger sister Lavinia also lived at home for her entire life in similar isolation.While Dickinson was extremely prolific as a poet and regularly enclosed poems in letters to friends, she was not publicly recognized during her lifetime.Maybe Dickinson wrote poems to express her feelings of not able to interact with the others and also to tell people her whole isolated life.Dickinson wasn't really very famous due to the fact that she did not interact with others but her poems were extraordinary with sentences showing her feeling and her thinking.Upon her death in 1886, Dickinson's family discovered 40 handbound volumes of nearly 1800 of her poems.Her poems includes " I heard a Fly Buzz" which she depicts the silence of her house and room , " I felt a Funeral In My Brain" which shows the feeling she felt whn she could not interact with the others and also " I measure evry grief I met" which shows the loneliness and fear in her heart. Here is one of the poems-" I heard a Fly Buzz"
I heard a Fly buzz – when I died –
The Stillness in the Room
Was like the Stillness in the Air –
Between the Heaves of Storm –
The Eyes around – had wrung them dry –
And Breaths were gathering firm
For that last Onset – when the King
Be witnessed – in the Room –
I willed my Keepsakes – Signed away
What portions of me be
Assignable – and then it was
There interposed a Fly –
With Blue – uncertain stumbling Buzz –
Between the light – and me –
And then the Windows failed – and then
I could not see to see –


Emily Dickinson deserves my appreciation as she is really determined and also perservered as despite she unable to interact with the world, she is able to write poems which depicts her life. Living in a world of darkness, isn't easy to find the motivation to do what you like but Emily Dickinson did it so why not us?

No comments:

Post a Comment